I often get asked about practicing. Here are some ideas:
- Do it! Make it easy to practice. Leave your fiddle out and in the way, so that you're tempted to pick it up and play.
- Try to play every day or even several times a day. A few minutes twice a day is better than two hours once a week.
- Practice mindfully and in small chunks of time. It's difficult to concentrate for long periods, and you don't want to practice without listening and concentrating or you'll practice your mistakes, which will then be harder to fix.
- Break down difficult passages into smaller phrases.
- Practice slowly. Speed will come on its own.
- Enjoy the small victories. A good tone, or a nice string crossing is an accomplishment.
- Finally, have fun with it, and don't worry too much about doing it right.